Today I have a special post for you: a top ten list, from the authors of Big Bad Bite by Jessie Lane.
Melissa and Crystal (alias Jessie lane) are giving us they top ten villains (five each), from books or movies! But first, my review!
Title: Big Bad Bite
Series: (Big Bad Bite #1)
Author: Jessie Lane
Published: January 28, 2013
What would it be like to live in a world where you are considered abnormal to those who are above the norm?
Jenna O’ Conner has been taught her whole life to hide from everyone. Never to let anyone to close enough to know that she would prefer a shotgun for her birthday over of a bouquet of roses. She’s been smothered by her over protective family so that no one learns what she truly is. Which is not human. Nor, is she considered the norm for the supernatural Other community that is benevolent enough to share this world with the humans.
In a desperate attempt to live her own life away from the small town she was raised in, Jenna obtains her dream job as the newest member on the Wilmington Police Department’s SWAT Team. What she didn’t predict was that she would run into trouble her first day on the job, in the form of a deadly, mouthwatering man named Adam McPhee. Who is also not human, but more like a wolf walking around in human skin. He’s determined to figure out exactly what Jenna is, which unbeknownst to him, could very well put her life in danger. He’s also determined to have her all to himself.
As if that wasn’t enough for Jenna to deal with, bad news blows into town. A group of extremist Shifters who think humans are cattle and factions of Others worldwide should stay within their own species - never to intermingle. Chaos ensues. Jenna has to find a way to shut them down, but in the process of trying to do that, discovers things about herself that even she never thought was possible.
Who said the wolf was what you had to worry about?
Welcome to the real world.
Available for sale at:
Available for sale at:
Smashwords - http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/270552
All Romance Ebooks - https://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-bigbadbite-1046911-139.html
My rating: 5.5/5
Action, romance, shape shifters, kick-ass heroine, oh my! Big Bad Bite was a revelation and an interesting discovery! One of my favorite read of the month!
I was intrigued by the cover when I stumbled on Jessie Lane website (pure hazard). They, (Jessie Lane is a pen name of Crystal and Melissa) really get my attention with this colorful, mysterious and dark cover but also with their blurb of Big Bad Bite. I didn't have time to read their book, but their presentation of it stirred something inside of me and I couldn't wait and stop myself from reading it.
This book didn't disappoint me at ALL. I didn't have expectation except the fact that it must be bad-ass-awesome and it was, bad-ass-awesome. I loved everything in this story: the characters were genial! The humour was present at every turn, the plot, the fast paced, the police/s.w.a.t. background story (Jenna's Job), Jenna's past and furthermore everything she doesn't know and can't rely on, was something special. Jenna was my type of girl, my type of heroine. She got a strong mind and will, she a beautiful woman, but she use her power and abilities to help the population.
Adam was the perfect alpha male. Everything he said, he does, every move is the reflection of the ''master'' of the pack he is/would be. I liked the fact that it was an instant attraction between him and Jenna. They both can't deny it and this is something I'm looking for in a PNR story.
Jenna and Adam were the main characters, but I really enjoyed my experience with the other characters, especially some shifters from other species...! (Kent, Gage, Alex, Logan...)
The plot was interesting and the author, Jessie Lane, know who to keep they readers in the action! I read this book in two days and at the very end, I was in a state of wanting. I can't wait to read the sequel of this series and I pretty sure it will worth the wait!
Page Turner: Yes!
Series: (Big Bad Bite #1)
Stand Alone: Yes, but the opening end and the way the author left the story, you will want to read the second book for sure!
Hotness: Adam, Hmmm :D
Proserpine Recommendation: You love PNR story, you crave shifters novels with hint of humour and action all the way. This book is for you! BUY-Borrow-Steal, do something! This book is a must try this year!
Top 10 Villains
Hi everybody! Thank you Proserpine for letting us stop by so that we could share are our top 10 villains! We can’t say that any of these characters individually inspired the bad guys in our newest book, Big Bad Bite, but we can say that their evilness is legendary, and therefore, always inspirational.
Crystal’s Top 5:
5) The Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz. She will forever be the witch for which all evil witches look to for inspiration. Evil cackle and all.
4) The Joker from The Dark Knight. The world doesn’t seem to shine as brightly without Heath Ledger in it. His performance was a phenomenal portrayal of one of the most known super villains of all time, and it was perfection.
3) Lothaire by Kresley Cole. One of the most engaging, ruthless characters I’ve ever read. He’s hell bent on reaching his ‘endgame’, but after you read about everything that’s happened to him in his long life, is he a villain, or a misunderstood victim?
2) Sauron from Lord of the Rings by Tolkien. Seriously, how could this guy be left off any list? He’s evil, he wants to conquer middle earth, and he spends most of his time as a giant, creepy, flaming eye.
1) Queen Akasha from Queen of the Damned. She may be drop dead gorgeous in the movie (heh - pun intended), but she’d suck the life out of you before you can blink. She plans to rule the world and place us pesky humans in the cattle department in no time.
Melissa’s Top 5:
5) Frederick Charles "Freddy" Krueger from A Nightmare on Elm Street. The mass murderer created by Wes Craven gave me the worst nightmares as a kid. Burnt, disfigured flesh covering his face. Metal-clawed leather glove donning his right hand. Wearing that damn red and black striped sweater and hat. Having all of that and the power to invade your dreams and kill you there. *shivers*
4) Hans Gruber from Die Hard. Man was a genius in his own right. He used an act of religious terrorism to hide the fact that he and his army of foot soldiers were actually stealing over $640 million dollars.
3) Valentine from The Mortal Instruments series. If you haven’t read the series, I don’t want to ruin it for you, but this dude is bad ass. Creepy in the sense that he keeps popping up at every turn. The depths he took in order to bring about his rise to power were seriously messed up.
2) John Doe in Se7en. Kevin Spacey plays this character so well, it still gives me the heebie jeebies. His murders based on the 7 deadly sins were meticulously planned out way in advance, easily displaying that he is a calm sociopath and serial killer. (LOVE that movie!)
1) Hannibal Lector - His lack of empathy and his ability to do anything and go anywhere (his complexity), makes him the most frightening person ever. Who would you be more afraid of? Leatherface and his chainsaw coming at you? Or the man with the power to bend you to his will so that he can fry your gray matter in a pan while you stand next to him, drinking a glass of wine?
All in all, the most dangerous villain is human nature. It is the all-time force working against the hero and always in the best interest of the villain. Mainly because, everyone’s initial response when in danger is to flee. The villain anticipates it. Its predictability is seen in every book, comic, play, and movie. The hero also has to fight against his own human nature while saving others. We hope you enjoyed our list of our Top 10 Villains! Who’s your biggest villain of all time?
Thanks you so much to both of you for taking the time to do this Top Ten list! And now, here's an excerpt of Big Bad Bite to tempt you!
Kent’s baritone flowed into her mind. “There are two to the left, at the Senator’s table. Did you see where the other two went?”
“Only one that is in the right hand corner. The fourth is hiding somewhere. What do you think we should do?”
“We’ve got four on four now. I say you and I take the two at the senator’s table, and send Dubinski and Walters after the third in the corner. We can flush the fourth one out from there.”
“Sounds like a plan. Wanna give the hand signals to Dubinski and Walters?”
“Done. Be ready to move in five. Four. Three. Two. ONE!”
In unison, they popped up from behind the bar as their other two teammates pounced to the right-hand corner across the room. The noisy shots of the suspect’s guns echoed throughout as bullets flew past Jenna and Kent. In one synchronized move, the two targets on either side of the senator’s table dropped to the ground from the shots that they volleyed at the pair. Jenna’s suspect went down with a shot to the head, while Kent’s suspect dropped to his knees with a shot to his shoulder. He must have jerked a few inches to the side as Kent had fired his shot.
Simultaneously, two shouts were suddenly heard. One from a middle aged platinum blond that the wounded suspect grabbed, shielding his body with hers as he raised the gun and pointed it at Kent. The second shout came from behind them as a body thumped to the floor. The hairs on the back of Jenna’s neck rose. As if time stood still, she watched Kent turn towards the shout behind them, looking for the trouble. His face recognized the owner of the sound being Dubinski. From her peripheral she watched Kent as he raised his weapon, aiming it at someone in that same direction. What Kent failed to see was what Jenna now faced. The stocky, dark haired suspect with a shoulder wound and a human shield leveled his pistol and aimed it at the back of Kent’s head. There were only two parts of his body left exposed behind the poor screaming woman he held around the neck in front of him; his head, peering from just behind the woman’s right shoulder, and the hand holding the gun.
With no time to analyze which shot to make, she aimed her gun with a muffled curse. Her finger eased on the trigger and the flash and puff of air moved in front of her riffle. A searing sting struck the outside of her right arm at the same time as multiple shots being fired echoed around her. Another flash of burn grazed her left ribs. The platinum blond dropped to the ground behind the table screaming like a banshee as Jenna ran forward after her. Her mind raced in panic as she vaulted over bodies and tables towards her target, praying that she hit the suspect instead of an innocent civilian. With the riffle still squared into her shoulder, ready to aim and fire, she vaulted onto the senator’s table just as the lights flashed back on in the restaurant.